Feeling secure at home is a priority for everyone. Carrying out a security survey on your property will help identify areas where improvements could be made, such as making sure locks are of a suitable standard, hedges and fences are well maintained and external lighting is in good working order.
Here are a few simple tips to help you reduce the risk of becoming a victim of burglary:
- Keep front and back doors locked at all times – even when you are at home
- If you open windows for air, make sure that they are closed before you go out or leave the room
- Keep keys and other valuables out of sight and reach from cat flaps, letterboxes and downstairs doors and windows
- Leave a light on or use a timer switch so that your house looks occupied if you are out after dark
- Don’t forget garages, sheds and outbuildings – make sure they’re locked and secure too
- Make sure your home is visible from the street by keeping bushes and fences low at the front, and use dusk to dawn lighting to light up the property after dark
- When investing in new doors and windows, check they meet relevant security standards
The illustration below gives you a step by step guide to conducting a survey on your home. It’s a good idea to do this a couple of times a year, in spring and autumn.